(1) The Acts and Ordinances specified in the Schedule to the Merged States (Laws) Act, 1949 (59 of 1949), are hereby extended to, and shall be in force in, the States of Tripura and Vindhya Pradesh, as they are generally in force in the territories to which they extend immediately before the commencement of this Act.
(2) 1 [Subject to the provisions contained in sub-section (2A), the Acts and ordinances referred to in sub-section (1)], are hereby extended to, and shall be in force in, the State of Manipur as they are generally in force in the territories to which they extend immediately before the commencement of this Act:
Provided that the Indian Penal Code (45 of 1860) in its application to the State of Manipur shall have effect as if—
(a) in section 361, for the word "eighteen" the word "fifteen" had been substituted, and
(b) in section 375, for the word "sixteen" in clause Fifthly the word "fourteen" had been substituted, and for the word "fifteen" in the Exception the word "thirteen" had been substituted.
2 [(2A) The Acts specified in Part A of the Schedule to this Act shall not extend to the State of Manipur, and the Acts specified in Part B thereof shall extend to, and be in force in that State only as from the date of commencement of the Union Territories (Laws) Amendment Act, 1956 (68 of 1956), and shall with effect from that date, be amended to the manner and to the extent specified in the said Part.]
(3) For the purpose of facilities the application in the said States of any such Act or Ordinance as aforeaid any Court or other authority may construe the Act or Ordinance with such alterations not affecting the substance as may be necessary or proper to adapt it to the matter before the Court or other authority.
2 [Explanation.—For the purposes of this section and section 4, any reference to the State of Manipur or Tripura in relation to any period after the 31st October, 1956, shall be construed as a reference to the Union territory of Manipur or Tripura as the case may be].
1. Subs. by Act 68 of 1956, s. 2, for certain words (w.e.f. 1-1-1957).
2. Ins. by s. 2, ibid. (w.e.f. 1-1-1957).