1[The State Government] may cause such rates of toll, 2*** as 3[it thinks fit], to be levied upon any road or bridge which has been, or shall hereafter be, made or repaired 4[at the expense of the Central or any State Government]; and may place the collection of such tolls under the management of such persons as may appear to 5[it] proper: and all persons employed in the management and collection of such tolls shall be liable to the same responsibilities as would belong to them if employed in the collection of the land revenue.
Amendment of section 2.--In section 2 of the Indian Tolls Act, 1851(8 of 1851) in its application to the State of Orissa, for the words "at the expense of the Central or any State Government", the words "at the expense of the Central or any State Government or any Corporation, Statutory Body, Company, Firm or person authorized by the State Government for this purpose" shall be substituted.
[Vide the Orissa Act 7 of 1999, s. 2]
1. Subs., ibid., for "The Governor of the Presidency of Fort William in Bengal, the Lieutenant-Governor of the North-Western Provinces of Bengal and the Governor of the Presidency of Fort St. George in Council". The words "and the Governor of the Presidency of Bombay in Council" had been rep. by Act 8 of 1888, s. 5.
The authority of the Provincial Government in any Province of India not specified in s. 1A to which this Act and the Indian Tolls Act, 1864 (15 of 1864), may be or have been extended, is to be the same as if it had been originally specified in s. 2. See the Indian Tolls Act, 1888 (8 of 1888), s. 2(1).
2. The words "not exceeding the rates mentioned in the Schedule annexed to this Act" omitted by Act 38 of 1920, s. 2 and the First Schedule.
3. Subs. by the A.O. 1937, for "they respectively think fit".
4. Subs., ibid., for "at the expense of the Govt.".
5. Subs., ibid., for "them".