4Duties of the Commission
(1) The readjustment made, on the basis of the census figures as ascertained at the census held in the year 1971 by the Delimitation Commission constituted under section 3 of the Delimitation Act, 1972 (76 of 1972), of the allocation of seats in the House of the People to the several States and the total number of seats in the Legislative Assembly of each State shall be deemed to be the readjustment made by the Commission for the purposes of this Act.
(2) Subject to the provisions of sub-section (1) and any other law for the time being in force, the Commission shall readjust the division of each State into territorial constituencies for the purpose of elections to the House of the People and to the State Legislative Assembly on the basis of the census figures as ascertained at the census held in the year 1:
Provided that where on such readjustment only one seat is allocated in the House of the People to a State, the whole of that State shall form one territorial constituency for the purpose of elections to the House of the People from that State.
Download our fully-offline, High speed android app.- Click here
1. Subs. by Act 3 of 2004, s. 3, for "1991" (w.e.f. 31-10-2003).
- 1 Short title
- 2 Definitions
- 3 Constitution of Delimitation Commission
- 4 Duties of the Commission
- 5 Associate members
- 6 Casual vacancies
- 7 Procedure and powers of the Commission
- 8 Readjustment of number of seats
- 9 Delimitation of constituencies
- 10 Publication of orders and their date of operation
- 10A Deferment of delimitation in certain cases
- 10B Delimitation Commission's order with respect to the State of Jharkhand not to have any legal effect
- 11 Power to maintain delimitation orders up-to-date
- 12 Repeal