10Publication of orders and their date of operation
(1) The Commission shall cause each of its orders made under section 8 or section 9 to be published in the Gazette of India and in the Official Gazettes of the States concerned and simultaneously cause such orders to be published at least in two vernacular newspapers and publicize on radio, television and other possible media available to the public and after such publication in the Official Gazettes of the States concerned, every District Election Officer shall cause to be affixed, the Gazette version of such orders relating to the area under his jurisdiction, on a conspicuous part of his office for public notice.
(2) Upon publication in the Gazette of India, every such order shall have the force of law and shall not be called in question in any court.
(3) As soon as may be after such publication, every such order shall be laid before the House of the People and the Legislative Assemblies of the States concerned.
(4) Subject to the provisions of sub-section (5), the readjustment of representation of the several territorial constituencies in the House of the People or in the Legislative Assembly of a State and the delimitation of those constituencies provided for in any such order shall apply in relation to every election to the House or to the Assembly, as the case may be, held after the publication in the Gazette of India of that order and shall so apply in supersession of the provisions relating to such representation and delimitation contained in any other law for the time being in force or any order or notification issued under such law in so far as such representation and delimitation are inconsistent with the provisions of this Act:
1[Provided that nothing in this sub-section shall apply to the delimitation orders published in relation to the state of Jharkhand].
(5) Nothing in this section shall affect the representation in the House of the People or in the Legislative Assembly of a State until the dissolution of the House or of the Assembly, as the case may be, existing on the date of publication in the Gazette of India of the final order or orders of the Commission relating to the delimitation of parliamentary constituencies or, as the case may be, of the assembly constituencies of that State and any bye-election to fill any vacancy in such House or in any such Assembly shall be held on the basis of the provisions of the laws and orders superseded by sub-section (4) as if the said provisions had not been superseded.
(6) The Commission shall endeavour to complete and publish each of its orders referred to in sub-section (1) in the manner provided in that sub-section, 2[within a period not later than 31st day of July, 2008] under section 3.
Download our fully-offline, High speed android app.- Click here
1. Ins. by Act 9 of 2008, s. 2 (w.e.f. 14-1-2008).
2. Subs. by s. 2, ibid., for "within two years of the constitution of the Commission" (w.e.f. 14-1-2008).
- 1 Short title
- 2 Definitions
- 3 Constitution of Delimitation Commission
- 4 Duties of the Commission
- 5 Associate members
- 6 Casual vacancies
- 7 Procedure and powers of the Commission
- 8 Readjustment of number of seats
- 9 Delimitation of constituencies
- 10 Publication of orders and their date of operation
- 10A Deferment of delimitation in certain cases
- 10B Delimitation Commission's order with respect to the State of Jharkhand not to have any legal effect
- 11 Power to maintain delimitation orders up-to-date
- 12 Repeal