13Power to make application to Courts for restraining owner from handling hazardous substances
(1) If the Central Government or any person authorised by that Government in this behalf has reason to believe that any owner has been handling any hazardous substance in contravention of any of the provisions of this Act, that Government or, as the case may be, that person may make an application to a Court, not inferior to that of a Metropolitan Magistrate or a Judicial Magistrate first class for restraining such owner from such handling.
(2) On receipt of the application under sub-section (1), the Court may make such order as it deems fit.
(3) Where under sub-section (2), the Court makes an order restraining any owner from handling hazardous substance, it may, in that order--
(a) direct such owner to desist from such handling;
(b) authorise the Central Government or, as the case may be, the person referred to in sub-section(1), if the direction under clause (a) is not complied with by the owner to whom such direction is issued, to implement the direction in such manner as may be specified by the Court.
(4) All expenses incurred by the Central Government, or as the case may be, the person in implementing the directions of Court under clause (b) of sub-section (3), shall be recoverable from the owner as arrears of land revenue or of public demand.
Download our fully-offline, High speed android app.- Click here
- 1 Short title and commencement
- 2 Definitions
- 3 Liability to give relief in certain cases on principle of no fault
- 4 Duty of owner to take out insurance policies
- 5 Verification and publication of accident by Collector
- 6 Application for claim for relief
- 7 Award of relief
- 7A Establishment of Environmental Relief Fund
- 8 Provisions as to other right to claim compensation for death, etc
- 9 Power to call for information
- 10 Power of entry and inspection
- 11 Power of search and seizure
- 12 Power to give directions
- 13 Power to make application to Courts for restraining owner from handling hazardous substances
- 14 Penalty for contravention of sub-section (1) or sub-section (2) of section 4 or failure to comply with directions under section 12
- 15 Penalty for failure to comply with direction under section 9 or order under section 11 or obstructing any person in discharge of his functions under section 10 or 11
- 16 Offences by companies
- 17 Offences by Government Departments
- 18 Cognizance of offences
- 19 Power to delegate
- 20 Protection of action taken in good faith
- 21 Advisory Committee
- 22 Effect of other laws
- 23 Power to make rules