(1) No person shall without or otherwise than in conformity with a licence from the Chairperson carry on the trade of a butcher, fish-monger, poulterer or importer of flesh intended for human consumption or use any place for the sale of flesh, fish or poultry intended for human consumption:
Provided that no licence shall be required for any place used for the sale or storage for sale of preserved flesh or fish contained in air-tight or hermetically sealed receptacles.
(2) The Chairperson may order and subject to such conditions as to supervision and inspection as he thinks fit to impose grant a licence or may by order refuse for reasons to be recorded, to grant the same.
(3) Every such licence shall expire at the end of the year for which it is granted or at such earlier date as the Chairperson may, for special reasons, specify in the licence.
(4) If any place is used for the sale of flesh, fish or poultry in contravention of the provisions of this section, the Chairperson may stop the use thereof by such means as he may consider necessary.
(5) (i) If the Chairperson or any person authorised by him in this behalf has reason to believe that any animal intended for human consumption is being slaughtered or that the flesh of any such animals is being sold or exposed for sale, in any place or manner not duly authorised under this Act, he may at any time by day or night without notice inspect such place for the purpose of satisfying himself as to whether any provision of this Act or of any bye-law under this Act at the time in force is being contravened thereat and may seize any such animal or the carcass of such animal or such flesh found therein.
(ii) The Chairperson may remove and sell by auction or otherwise dispose of any animal or carcass of any animal or any flesh seized under clause (i) of this sub-section.
(iii) If within one month of such seizure the owner of the animal, carcass or flesh fails to appear and prove his claim to the satisfaction of the Chairperson or if the owner is convicted of an offence under this Act in respect of such animal, carcass or flesh, the proceeds of any sale under clause (i) of this sub-section shall vest in the Council.
(iv) Any person slaughtering any animal or selling or exposing for sale the flesh of any such animal in any place or manner not duly authorised under the provisions of this Act may be arrested by any police officer without a warrant.
(v) No claim shall lie against any person for compensation for any damage necessarily caused by any such entry or by the use of any force necessary for affecting such entry.
To download our Android App which is very light and fast.Click here