5Procedure for selection of Judge of Supreme Court
(1) The Commission shall recommend for appointment the senior-most Judge of the Supreme Court as the Chief Justice of India if he is considered fit to hold the office:
Provided that a member of the Commission whose name is being considered for recommendation shall not participate in the meeting.
(2) The Commission shall, on the basis of ability, merit and any other criteria of suitability as may be specified by regulations, recommend the name for appointment as a Judge of the Supreme Court from amongst persons who are eligible to be appointed as such under clause (3) of article 124 of the Constitution:
Provided that while making recommendation for appointment of a High Court Judge, apart from seniority, the ability and merit of such Judge shall be considered:
Provided further that the Commission shall not recommend a person for appointment if any two members of the Commission do not agree for such recommendation.
(3) The Commission may, by regulations, specify such other procedure and conditions for selection and appointment of a Judge of the Supreme Court as it may consider necessary.
Download our fully-offline, High speed android app.- Click here
- 1 Short title and commencement
- 2 Definitions
- 3 Headquarters of Commission
- 4 Reference to Commission for filling up of vacancies
- 5 Procedure for selection of Judge of Supreme Court
- 6 Procedure for selection of Judge of High Court
- 7 Power of President to require reconsideration
- 8 Officers and employees of Commission
- 9 Procedure for transfer of Judges
- 10 Procedure to be followed by Commission in discharge of its functions
- 11 Power to make rules
- 12 Power to make regulations
- 13 Rules and regulations to be laid before Parliament
- 14 Power to remove difficulties