(1) The President of India shall be the Visitor of the University.
(2) The Visitor may, from time to time, appoint one or more persons to review the work and progress of the University, including Institution managed by it, and to submit a report thereon; and upon receipt of that report the Visitor may, after obtaining the views of the Executive Council thereon through the ViceChancellor, take such action and issue such directions as he considers necessary in respect of any of the matters dealt with in the report and the University shall be bound to comply with such directions.
(3) The Visitor shall have the right to cause an inspection to be made by such person or persons as he may direct of the University, its buildings, laboratories and equipment and of any Institution maintained by the University and also of the examinations, teaching and other work conducted or done by the University and to cause an inquiry to be made in like manner in respect of any matter connected with the administration or finances of the University or Institutions.
(4) The Visitor shall, in every matter referred to in sub-section (3), give notice of his intention to cause an inspection or inquiry to be made to the University and the University shall have the right to make such representations to the Visitor, as it may consider necessary.
(5) After considering the representations, if any, made by the University, the Visitor may cause to be made such inspection or inquiry as is referred to in sub-section (3).
(6) Where any inspection or inquiry has been caused to be made by the Visitor, the University shall be entitled to appoint a representative who shall have the right to be present and be heard at such inspection or inquiry.
(7) The Visitor may, if the inspection or inquiry is made in respect of the University or any Institution maintained by it, address the Vice-Chancellor with reference to the result of such inspection or inquiry together with such views and advice with regard to the action to be taken thereon, as the Visitor may be pleased to offer, and on receipt of address made by the Visitor, the Vice-Chancellor shall communicate to the Executive Council, the views of the Visitor with such advice as the Visitor may offer upon the action to be taken thereon.
(8) The Executive Council shall communicate, through the Vice-Chancellor, to the Visitor such action, if any, as it proposes to take or has been taken upon the result of such inspection or inquiry.
(9) Where the Executive Council does not, within a reasonable time, take action to the satisfaction of the Visitor, the Visitor may, after considering any explanation furnished or representation made by the Executive Council, issue such directions as he may think fit and the Executive Council shall comply with such directions.
(10) Without prejudice to the foregoing provisions of this section, the Visitor may, by order in writing, annul any proceeding of the University which is not in conformity with this Act, the Statutes or the Ordinances:
Provided that before making any such order, he shall call upon the Registrar to show cause why such an order should not be made, and, if any cause is shown within a reasonable time, he shall consider the same.
(11) The Visitor shall have such other powers as may be prescribed by the Statutes.
Download our fully-offline, High speed android app.- Click here
- 1 Short title and commencement
- 2 Definitions
- 3 Establishment of the University
- 4 Objects of the University
- 5 Powers of the University
- 6 Jurisdiction
- 7 University open to all classes, castes and creeds
- 8 The Visitor
- 9 Officers of the University
- 10 The Chancellor
- 11 The Vice-Chancellor
- 12 The Pro-Vice-Chancellor
- 13 The Deans of Schools
- 14 The Registrar
- 15 The Finance Officer
- 16 The Librarian
- 17 Other Officers
- 18 Authorities of the University
- 19 The Court
- 20 The Executive Council
- 21 The Academic Council
- 22 The Board of studies
- 23 The Finance Committee
- 24 Other authorities of the University
- 25 Power to make Statutes
- 26 Statutes how to be made
- 27 Power to make Ordinance
- 28 Regulations
- 29 Annual report
- 30 Annual accounts
- 31 Conditions of service of employees
- 32 Procedure of appeal and arbitration in disciplinary cases against students
- 33 Right to appeal
- 34 Provident and pension funds
- 35 Disputes as to constitution of University authorities and bodies
- 36 Constitution of Committees
- 37 Filling of casual vacancies
- 38 Proceedings of University authorities or bodies not invalidated by vacancies
- 39 Protection of action taken in good faith
- 40 Mode of proof of University records
- 41 Power to remove difficulties
- 42 Transitional provisions
- 43 Statutes, Ordinances and Regulations to be published in the Official Gazette and to be laid before Parliament